Wednesday, January 17, 2007

La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soup

Ok, if you have ever been to La Madeleine, http://www.lamadeleine.com/,you should know their soup. It is the BEST soup I have ever had. When I first moved back to Houston I visited La Madeleine a few times, but only enjoyed their desserts and coffee. Michelle introduced me to their soup. I have never been the same. There were days when I dreamt about eating the creamy tomato soup. A few years later I started working at the Houston Ballet, and right down the road was a La Madeleine. Lets just say, I did get my fill.
I don't frequent La Madeleine as much as I used to but I still love their soup. So I was thrilled when Laura sent me the copykat link with this recipe. This recipe tastes EXACTLY like their tomato basil soup. It is extremely easy to make. I would say it serves 6-8 small cups and 5 large bowls.
Serve with shredded swiss cheese.

La Madeleine's Tomato Basil Soup

4 C. (8 to 10) tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped, or 4 C. canned whole tomatoes, crushed
4 C. tomato juice and part vegetable stock or chicken stock
12 to 14 washed fresh basil leaves
1 C. heavy cream
1/4 pound sweet, unsalted buttersalt to taste
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
Methods/steps
Combine tomatoes, juice/and or stock in saucepan. Simmer 30 minutes. Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand-held food blenders, right in the cooking pan).
Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring over low heat.
Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.

No comments: