Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spicy Squash & Peanut Soup with Grilled Eggplant, Pesto, Tomato & Goat Cheese Stack

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a magnificent food blog, Cara's Cravings. I have yet to find a recipe I would not make. The blog was appealing to me because she creates her dishes as I would. The dishes are simple, healthy and very much in keeping with what comes out of my kitchen. In short, I like her cooking style. I finally got to make my first recipe from her site, Spicy Squash & Peanut Soup. YUM.

So, here are a few notes. It is not spicy. The chipotle pepper adds a nice deepness to the soup without blowing your socks off, or even singeing them. Definitely kid friendly. My kids friendly. Your family may have an extra sensitive pallet. In that case, skip the pepper and add a 1 tablespoon of the adobo liquid. Second note, this recipe takes time. Peeling and chopping a butternut squash is time consuming. I started yesterday afternoon and I kept the squash out and peeled a bit at a time. I get board with tasks like that, so instead of abandoning ship, I gave myself the freedom to do a little at a time. It was brilliant!  Nothing in this recipe requires any more then the basic skill set. So if you give yourself plenty of time, it should be a cinch! Go to hyperlink for instructions. One more note, you do have to like food to eat this. What I mean is, this is not an average tasting dish. I feel you do have to like veggies to like this. 

What did I serve with it you ask???? Ha ha ha. (Diabolical laugh) Not sure why this has to be diabolical other then I am imagining strumming my fingers together like a mad scientist, gazing lovingly at my awesome eggplant creation.
I found this recipe, or a version of it and did not bookmark!!! I hate when that happens. I know the original was almost just like this one, so if I knew where it was I would give credit. The goat cheese was all me! Ok, so this is so good, it is going on my favorites list right away. It is easy, crazy Delicious and very easy to make. This makes enough for people to have one each. I would double if you are cooking for more.

I would have taken pictures, but I had a new friend over and, well, you know, taking pictures of your food is kinda weird. I need to ease her into my crazy.

Grilled Eggplant, Pesto, Tomato & Goat Cheese Stack

1 Eggplant
3 Beefsteak or Large Tomato cut into large rings
Pesto, home made or store bought.
Goat cheese softened

Cut eggplant into rings. Salt both sides and let sit for 30 minutes. This will draw out water and eliminate bitter flavor.

Put eggplant on grill on grill for about 5 minutes. Smear goat cheese on eggplant, smear a layer of pesto on top of that, add tomato, add another eggplant ring and repeat. Put a sheet of alluminum foil down on grill, put eggplant on and close grill for about 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and cheese is bubbly.
*I used a George Forman and did the final cooking in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. If my grill worked I would have used that.




3 comments:

Sarah Hart said...

did your kids eat the eggplant stack? it sounds awesome & i want to make it NOW.

Unknown said...

It is awesome. I have not tried it out on them yet, but I will pull tomatoes as everyone but me hates them. Will they "like" the eggplant, I am sure they will not. But, as you know, that makes little to no difference on what they consume. :)

Katy Livingston said...

I love anything smothered in goat cheese.