Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Laura's Perfect Pinto Beans

This is a fail safe recipe. My best friend Laura shared this recipe with me a few years ago. This is one recipe that I have deviated from only a few times and have never been as satisfied as with her original recipe. As with any dish, I hope you will add more of things you do like, or hold back on things you do not like, make it what you would enjoy. But, I would suggest making it from this recipe first, just to try it out.
I serve it for dinner, at every party, and for no reason at all. I have never had these beans come out bad. (Well, once I put in to much salt...YUCK!) They are so good.
I would recommend always making a full pound of beans. There are so many options as to what you can do with the leftovers. Chalupas, refried beans for breakfast, bean burritos, the list of bean dishes is endless, not to mention cheap. I have found that most main dish recipes that call for beans are extremely inexpensive to make.
You can make these beans as spicy or as mild as you wish. To achieve a more milder bean, leave out the red pepper flakes, or cut the recommendation in half. If you are not comfortable with spicy beans, I would not recommend leaving out the jalapeno at the beginning. It serves as a flavoring agent, not as a heat device. Just remember to remove it before serving, because when eaten it is still very hot.
If you want to make this vegetarian leave out the bacon. It does give the beans a nice smoked flavor, but half the time I don't even have bacon in house. They are delish with, or without meat.
Enjoy, this is one of my favorites things to make since it is so easy and so satisfying.

Perfect Pinto Beans

1 pound of pinto beans (no soaking required)
3 pieces of raw bacon
1/2 Onion
1 Large Jalapeno
Cook 1 1/2 -2 hours on a med-low heat, just a slight boil, just until soft.

Add:
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon comino (cumin powder)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tespoon salt

Stir, cook another 10 min and serve.

No comments: