This Lasagna recipe is much more complicated then that last one. I got the bulk of the recipe from a Cooking Light magazine, and tweaked it just a bit when I prepared it a second time. The original recipe did not call for meat or sun dried tomato's. I feel the addition of both of these ingredients adds wonderful flavor that should not be missed.
This lasagna authentic and absolutely to die for. This dish is recommend for people that already love to cook. It take much time to prepare and requires much love from the chef. You have to pay attention when going forward with each step from preparing the mixtures to assembly, it does make you work.
Do not feel daunted if you want to try something new and exciting in your kitchen, somthig that is absolutely gourmet. I offer you the challenge. You will not be disappointed with the outcome. This dish far exceeds any lasagna I have had at a restaurant, and I know with your love, it will far exceed your expectations.
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
1 ½ Cups Chopped Onion
1 ¼ Cups Spaghetti Sauce (I used some sort of tomato and basil)
½ Cups water
¼ Cups sundried tomato
1 Package (10 Oz) Hot Italian Sausage
1 Can tomato Sauce
1 (12 oz) Carton Cottage Cheese
2 Large Egg Whites
1 Cup Fat Free Ricotta
½ Teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 package lasagna noodles (use the mostly cooked kind to save time)
1 ½ Cups mozzarella cheese
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2) Cook noodles according to package and set aside.
3) Heat oil in dutch oven (large pot) over med. Heat. Ass onion and sauté 5 min. until tender. Add sausage and sauté 3 min. until mostly brown.
4) Add spaghetti sauce, water, and tomato sauce, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 min.
5) Combine cottage cheese and egg whites in food processor (or blender); process until smooth. Place cottage cheese mix in large bowl. Stir in ricotta, Italian seasoning and garlic.
6) Spread ½ cup sausage mixture in bottom of a 13X9 baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles over sausage miz; top with ¾ cup of ricotta mix; top with 1 ¾ cup of sausage mix and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers inding with noodles. Spread remaining sausage mix over noodles. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray.
7) Bake @375 for 40 min. *Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake uncovered for an additional 20 min or until cheese is browned.
8) Let stand 10 min before serving.