Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Salmon Patties and Spinach Salad

I simply adore cooking. It is my passion, my very best creative outlet. One of my favorite things in the world is to get a new cookbook. I love reading everything the chef has to say, I peruse the book cover to cover imagining cooking the recipes in the book. I am a total dork I know! But, is that not how each one of you embraces your passion?

This blog is intended to share some of my favorite recipes with all my darlings. I am sure I will add plenty of comments about how my family is, and what is going on in the life of my home. But the real meaning of this blog is for me to be able to write down the meals I made the night before. I have been negligent in documenting my creations and favorite recipes. NO MORE! I will post all things yummy for you to try. Please feel free to send me your own recipes so that I may share with others your culinary creations.

One reason I feel I have done so well in my cooking, is because I am not afraid to try creating something new in my kitchen. This started with my love of new dishes and all food non-regional when eating outside the home. I encourage you to try the dishes I present, even if they seem “weird”, I promise I will let you know if it requires an exotic pallet.

Everyone can learn how to cook. The more you nurture your kitchen, the better your food will be. Cooking can be a very daunting task, and as with dogs, your food can smell fear. Abandon your Mac and cheese, canned spaghetti and ranch dressing; there is an entire world of excellent healthy food to embrace. I promise when you find your inner chef, you will never look at your kitchen the same again.


Here will be my first recipe. It seems fitting that this would be my first recipe to post considering it is one of the first things I ever learned how to cook.
This dish is extremely good and very easy. I have been modifying these patties for years, and last night I feel I perfected it.
This is an extremely kid-friendly dish. If you do like spicy, but want to share with your kids, divide the concoction in half just before you add the fresh jalapenos.
Do not feel daunted if you do not have all the spices. I subscribe to the Rachel Ray mentality, use what you got, and use what you like.

Herb Salmon Patties

1 Can Pink Salmon
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (You can use plain. I prefer spicy or also know as zesty)
1/2 bunch cilantro finely chopped
2 teaspoons herbs de provence (you may use any number of dried savory spices here)
1-teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-teaspoon salt
The Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 fresh jalapeno finely chopped
2 tablespoons oil

Mix together. I find your hands make the best spoon when mixing this dish. Make patties about the size of the palm of your hand. You should be able to make around 8 patties.

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.

Heat oil in a non-stick pan to med-low. Add as many patties as the pan allows. Do not overcrowd, they will not cook evenly. Allow them to cook about 5-7 and flip, there should be a nice golden brown cover to them. Cook the second side for the same amount of time.

When first batch is done set on baking sheet and stick in oven to stay warm.

Serve with a nice spinach salad mixed with a few red radishes and 1/2 a red bell. Use balsamic vinaigrette as the dressing. The run off from the vinaigrette is very nice on the patties.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!! I'm so glad you are blogging about cooking! I need all the help I can get!! That's awesome! Your blog will be the first I check when I need something to cook for dinner.

Rock On!!